I made these for a friend of mine who just had a little girl. I picked this pattern because it seemed straightforward. It was a straight forward pattern, but I had a really hard time putting these things together--and I was even able to use a short cut. You'll see that instead of stabilizing the edges of the tops of the shoes with stitching or ribbon, I have a stitched down seam. This is actually because I used a really cute pair of cordoruys that my youngest daughter used to have. They had a decorative seam running down the front of the leg and I centered the top of the pattern on that seam and just opened it up where a split is required.
For reinforcing the open-end of the seam, I used some ribbon folded into a triangle (glued to help hold it together while I sewed it down). I decided to make that a decorative element. I like how the ribs of the ribbon echo the cordoruy wale.
Making these shoes took forever. The seam allowance is so tiny that I ended up hand-stitching a number of holes closed. I will probably just hand-stitch the next pair. I also had a hard time with easing of the toe-box. It turns out that my brilliant idea of using a seamed top peice meant that it was too thick to ease through the front of the toe.
After I was finished with the shoes I was not going to embellish them at all--I just want to be done! But, when I took a few days rest and looked at them with fresh eyes, I decided to add a little something.
This is my first embroidery. I chose something simple--daisy with a french knot center. It's not perfect--next time I will mark a circle before stitching.
I really don't think they hold a candle to what's in the Bitty Booty Flickr group. Those things are just gorgeous.