Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Vintage Books

I love going to library fundraising sales. I always go and skim the crafts and cooking section. I've gleaned a number (meaning around 10 or 20) of interesting old books related to fashion, homemaking, and needlework from the 60s or earlier. I will tell you that the older cook books are pretty scary.

I thought I'd highlight a few of them here. Maybe someone out there reading this would find them as interesting as I do. Sometimes I feel like an archeologist or anthropologist and other times I'm just wondering if I'll ever get up the guts to wear white gloves and a pillbox hat and leave a calling card at someone's house when visiting. Some of the rules have changed so dramatically that reading them is purely a matter of gaining a historical perspective. Other things I've read have given me a new way to look at my role as a woman and appreciate some of the modern advantages.

No comments: